top of page
Captain hand accelerating on the throttl

 EASA Licences

Light Aircraft Pilot’s Licence (LAPL)

Available for aeroplanes, helicopters, balloons and gliders, the concept behind the LAPL was to create a simplified licence with a shorter training course and less onerous medical standards. In the case of aeroplanes and helicopters it is limited to a maximum take-off weight of two tonnes and no more than three passengers. With some extra training it can be upgraded to the PPL.

Private Pilots Licence - Single Engine Piston (SEP)


Available for aeroplanes and helicopters, the Private Pilot’s Licence is recognised worldwide and can be ‘built on’ with extra ratings and privileges. Click here for more details.

Military pilots can use service flying clubs, more details here.

Multi-engine Piston (MEP)


The multi-engine rating is designed to allow you to fly as Pilot in Command of twin-engined aircraft. It can be added to a PPL or a CPL. Click here for more details.

Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL)

A commercial pilot licence, is a type of pilot licence that permits the holder to act as a pilot of an aircraft and be paid for his/her work. Click here for more details.

Airline Transport Pilots Licence (ATPL)

The Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) is the highest level of aircraft pilot licence, required to command aircraft over 5700 kg or with over 9 passenger seats. Click here for more details.

Multi-Pilot Licence (MPL)

A Multi-pilot licence (MPL) will allow you to act as a co- pilot in an aeroplane required to be operated with a co-pilot on commercial air transport. Click here for more details.

Instrument Rating (IR)

Instrument rating refers to the qualifications that a pilot must have in order to fly under instrument flight rules (IFR). It requires additional training and instruction beyond what is required for a PPL or CPL, including rules and procedures specific to instrument flying, additional instruction in meteorology, and more intensive training in flight solely by reference to instruments. Click here for more details.

For Aerobatics, Night, IMC / IR(R) see Extra Ratings

Details on how to convert military experience against an EASA licence can be found here.

bottom of page